update on us.

Dec 18, 2008

wow, what a change a week brings. on monday, we had a routine CT scan just to check claire’s brain development out and fully expected it to be the same as when she was born. her neurosurgeon was surprised to see that the fluid on her brain is increasing yet her head size is not swelling as one would think. this means one of two things- 1. her head will gradually increase b/c there is pressure from the spinal fluid and that is affecting her development or 2. there is no pressure, the fluid is just increasing and taking over brain matter and her brain is just not growing normally. obviously we hope it is the first scenario. what this means is she has to have a brain procedure in january that will check the amount of pressure in her brain. they will drill a hole through the top of her head and the side and insert a tube that will measure the pressure while she is awake over the next 48 hours. this will take place in the ICU. they will drain a little fluid and we’ll see how she does over the next few weeks. hopefully we will see a progress in her development from that. then we will discuss the pressure finding and if they are high, she will need a shunt permantently in her brain to drain the fluid or endoscopy to remove the blockage causing the buildup (if they can find one.) the procedure and shunting have high risks which makes us fearful but they are necessary so we have to go forward. we are devastated that on top of all these brain abnormalities our baby has to have brain surgeries.

please pray for a miracle. that claire would go into the hospital in january and the ventricles would be smaller and her brain matter increased. that she would not suffer in pain from any surgeries, that the results of the procedure would show that her brain can grow.

people have been asking us how they can help. really, the thing we need most is love. it feels like we are in such a deep, dark pit right now and we cherish the moments when we feel happy, lifted up and our minds are briefly freed from the horrific circumstances we are going through. we’re going through so much that is diificult to try to come up with things that would help us. if you have something on your mind, give us a call or email. i’m sure whatever it is, it would brighten our day.

by | Categories: family |

1. Allison
    December 18th, 2008 at 1:56 pm #

We love you all so very much. Thank you for the update, I know it’s hard to share sometimes, but everyone out there wants to share some of the burden and pray for you.

BIG big hugs!!!

2. Josie
    December 18th, 2008 at 2:37 pm #

Nicky, I’m so sorry you guys are going through this. We will definitely be praying for healing and a miracle.

3. Gina
    December 18th, 2008 at 3:07 pm #

Hey family! Just wanted to tell you how beautiful Claire is! This is the first time I have seen any pictures of her and my goodness all that hair! She’s a doll!
    I am sorry you all are goin through such a hard time right now but the power of prayer is amazing and we are all praying for you. I think it is awesome you guys are updating all of us on her progress as well as your own. Remember God works in mysterious ways and I don’t think he could have chosen a better couple to bless Claire with then you. I admire your strength and although we all can’t be with you daily we do pray for you. We forward each other the updates and website like this and keep praying. God Bless you! Love you guys!
    Gina 🙂

4. Bruss
    December 18th, 2008 at 3:09 pm #

love you guys, praying for you. Our heart goes out to you

5. rachel barna
    December 18th, 2008 at 4:42 pm #

I am thinking about and praying for your family!

6. amber
    December 18th, 2008 at 5:49 pm #

I think of you EVERYDAY! Just remember the joy that Claire has brought to you so far- I’ll never forget how happy you were when you told me she was on the way. I even cried. If I were there I would hug you and kiss claire’s cheeks. You and Adrian are wonderful parents, no matter what the circumstances are at this time, Claire’s a lucky little lady.

7. Michelle Grunewald
    December 18th, 2008 at 8:56 pm #

Nicky,
    Praying for you,Claire, and Adrian. Always believe in miracles. My thoughts and prayers are with you everyday. Love you all,

Michelle

8. Sara Eeds
    December 19th, 2008 at 7:20 am #

as always nicky we are praying continually for you, adrian, and beautiful baby claire. we will be back on sunday from missouri and i will be here for you whatever you need! i love you!!!!

9. Eric Vender
    December 19th, 2008 at 11:01 am #

Just want to say I’m thinking of you guys and I love you! Can’t wait to see my beatiful niece! And of course, you guys. I think it’s gonna be an awesome Christmas! See you soon.

10. Amber Stubbs
    December 19th, 2008 at 1:09 pm #

We are thining of, praying for, and sending many well wishes to the Vender Family every day. Claire is beyond precious; an absolute treasure and no matter the news, the Vender family is strong, stable, supported and loved.
    Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated. We love you.

11. misty
    December 19th, 2008 at 1:24 pm #

nicky, your family is loved. we’re praying heavily for peace.

12. Kavita
    December 19th, 2008 at 6:52 pm #

Hey Nicole,
    I’m sorry to hear of the news. It sounds like there are a lot of unknowns and I can only imagine how hard that must be. I’m continually sending prayers upstairs for little Claire and you all and I know for sure that God is listening although sometimes it might not seem like it and doubt creeps in. I am sending you lots of love and if you want, maybe we can get together and I can give you a hug full of love! Have you met any other parents that are facing similar challenges either right now or in the past? If not, that might be something that could be helpful to you both. Just a thought. Anyway, I’ll send you my number via facebook and maybe you can send me yours. In the meantime, I’m sending you a virtual hug and watch out because it’s big, warm and TIGHT!
    Love K